Spurred on by Mr Sniffer, Sir, I’ve been prompted to put down some “amazing” facts about Le Mans, that I’m sure you, Dear Reader, will be astounded at…
a) This year will be the 18th trip to Le Mans, out of 77, so a 23% attendance record (and assuming I keep going, in 2016, I will have been going for more than half my life…)
b) Since 1998, when JT and KL joined us, it has been “Deutschland Uber Alles”, with 1x win for Porsche, 1x win for BMW, 8x wins for Audi and 1x win for Bentley (with an Audi engine…)
c) Neither have we seen much British success in the driver department, with only Allan McNish (2x) and Guy Smith (1x) in the 11 races we’ve all been at. This compares to 7x wins for Tom Kristensen alone, since 1998!
d) Also since 1998, we have seen the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th fastest Le Mans races of all time… The quality of the Audi vs. Pug scrap from last year is the fastest we’ve seen to date (and may well have broken the record if it wasn’t for the rain in the second 12 hours). 2009 will be slower as new aero/engine restrictor regs have been brought in
I’ll do a bit of head and heart analysis of the class war for the upcoming race in my next contribution!
Astounded just isn't the word - keep up the geek stuff....it wouldn't be the same with out ya !
ReplyDelete